Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) Requirement
The genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement is an integrity assessment that all applicants for a student visa must provide to substantiate that they are coming to Australia temporarily to gain a quality education and intend to use the student visa program for its intended purpose only and not as a channel to gain residency in Australia.
The Department of Home Affairs assesses if you’re a genuine temporary entrant. Provide evidence for the information you give in your written statement.
Need of GTE Assessment
- To separate genuine students from non-genuine ones
- To minimize the drop-out ratio
- Universities maintain and share records of agents with universities
How is the GTE Assessment Done?
- Statement of purpose
- GTE checklists
GTE Expectations – DHA
- Situations in your home country
- Reason for not studying in your home country or region if a similar course is available there
- Ties to your home country that support an intention to return after study is finished
- Economic situation
- Political and Civil unrest in your home country
- Potential situation in Australia
- Ties to Australia that present a strong incentive to stay in Australia
- Level of knowledge of the proposed course and education provider
- Previous study and qualifications
- Planned living arrangements
- Financial stability
- Value of the course to your future
- If the course is consistent with the applicant’s current level of education
- If the course is relevant to past or proposed future employment in your home country or a third country
- Expected salary and other benefits in your home country or a third country obtained with your qualifications from the proposed course of study
- Immigration History
- Previous visa applications for Australia or other countries
- Visa refusals or cancellations
- Previous study
- Gap in previous study
- Employment history
Assessment of your Genuine Temporary Entrant Requirement statement
The GTE requirement is used to make sure the student visa program is accessed as intended. The student visa program is not a way for international students to maintain ongoing residency in Australia.
The GTE requirement helps identify applicants who are using the student visa program for motives other than gaining a quality education.